SS1 is for kids approximately 5-8 years old. Starts, stops, basic position and technique are introduced by non-competitive games of sustained activity.
Registrations for Speed Skate 1 are accepted for either Saturday or Sunday or both days, each class is 1 hour long. Parents are encouraged to come on the ice and share the fun.
Saturday Coaches: David Silke with skaters from the senior competitive group.
Sunday Coaches: Rebecca Mahler with skaters from the senior competitive group.
Cost for the Year:
Saturday or Sunday (1 hour/week) = $185.61
Saturday and Sunday (2 hours/week) = $361.22
Ice Times: Yellowknife Community Arena
SS1 Saturday 11:00 am – 12:00 pm
SS1 Sunday 10:30 am – 11:30 am
- Helmet, CSA-approved or ASTM F 1849 certified (no bicycle helmets)
- Knee pads (not hard style)
- Bib-style neck guard
- Leather/cut-resistant gloves/mitts
- Shatter-resistant non-tinted safety glasses with safety straps (prescription eyeglasses do not require additional safety glasses but do require a safety strap)*
- skates (hockey skates are fine – NO figure skates)
*Safety glasses can be purchased at Overlander Sports in Yellowknife.