Happening Saturday, October 22 and Sunday, 23, 2022, this is a great way to have a friend join you on the ice, or for anyone to come try out our speed skate classes (and even try on a pair of speed skates if you are older)! Find out more about when your age group is invited to join us on the ice!
Speed skates can be rented from the YKSSC for a cost of $125 per season (additional cheque of $125 is required as deposit). If you are looking to rent skates, come by our locker room at the Multiplex (back room of the Ed Jeske ice surface) on Tuesday, September 13 from 7:45 to 9:00 pm, or Sunday, September 18 from 3:45 to 5:00 pm. If neither of these times work, please contact our skate coordinators at firstname.lastname@example.org for skate rental arrangements.
Registration for Learn-to-Skate, SS1, SS2, SS3 and Competitive Skating is now open. Visit our registration page for more information and how to register.
All skaters must be registered before getting on the ice. We are looking forward to seeing our skaters back on the ice and welcoming new ones to our great club!
If you want to register in person or ask us questions about our programs, please visit our table at the Yellowknife Community Showcase, Wednesday, September 14 (from 6:00 – 8:00) at the Multiplex gym.
President – Menzie McEachern email@example.com
Vice President – Jason Messier
Treasurer – Jody Pellissey
Registrar – Jana Dunn firstname.lastname@example.org
Communications Coordinator – Johanna Tiemessen
Fundraising Coordinator – Fred Murphy email@example.com
Secretary – Glen MacKay
YKSSC is calling for parents to volunteer to put their name forward to be on the board for the upcoming 22-23 season, which will be voted in at the AGM on May 15, 2022. We are looking to fill the role of Vice-President, Secretary and Fundraising Coordinator. These roles are vital to the structure of our club and it is very important we fill these seats for the upcoming season.
The commitment of our board is not much time – a board meeting once a month and then duties according to the position held. Your reward is helping ensure our club remains strong and continues to grow and prosper for your children (and other young Yellowknifers) in the future. Please reach out and let us know you can help for the upcoming season.
When: Sunday May 15, 4-7pm (Supper 5pm, AGM 6pm)
Where: YK Ski Club
Bring: A side or dessert for the potluck, plates & cutlery.
Burgers and hotdogs will be provided! See you there!
The NWTSSA will host annual territorial-wide meet for NWT Clubs on February 25 – February 27, 2022. This ability meet included all ages and abilities of skaters. Registration is now open and will close February 18, 2022.
Due to the YK Arena remaining closed for November and December we have had to adjust all our weekend ice times, and all classes will be held at Ed Jeske unless otherwise noted. Sorry for the changes!
Special 0: Monday 8:00pm to 9:00pm (Shorty Brown Rink)
Comp: Tuesday and Thursday 7:30pm to 9:00pm, Saturday 7:30am to 9:30am
SS3: Tuesday 6:30pm to 7:30pm, Sunday 1:30pm to 3:00pm
SS2: Thursday 6:30pm to 7:30pm, Sunday 12:30pm to 1:30pm
SS1 Group 1 (formerly known as SS1 Sunday) – Sunday 9:30am to 10:30am (start Nov 7)
SS1 Group 2 (formerly known as SS1 Saturday) – Sunday 4:00pm to 5:00pm (starts Oct 31)
LTS Group 1 (formerly known as LTS Sunday) – Sunday 8:30am to 9:30am (starts Nov 7)
LTS Group 2 (formerly known as SS1 Saturday) – Sunday 3:00pm to 4:00pm (starts Oct 31)
We have received our exemption letter and are allowed to return to the ice starting Tuesday, October 26. What does this mean for you?
1. As a part of our exemption status, YKSSC is required to have checked the vaccination status of all our skaters and coaches over the age of 12 who are eligible for vaccination. Before any of our skaters or coaches who fall into this category can get on the ice, we must have this proof of vaccination for our records. Please email proof of vaccination for your skater, or yourself if you are a coach, to firstname.lastname@example.org before you get on the ice. If your skater is under 12, then no action is needed, however see #2 for you as their parent if you want to come into the Multiplex.
2. Anyone who enters a City facility, such as the Multiplex, is required to show proof of vaccination. So, aside from sending it to YKSSC as noted above, you might also need to show proof of vaccination for your skater, yourself as a coach, and/or yourself if you want to come in to volunteer or spectate. We are unsure when or how the City will start doing this but please be prepared tomorrow for the possibility of showing proof of vaccination at the door to get into the building.
Basically, YKSSC needs to comply with its exemption requirements and have proof of vaccinations. Separately, the City will do their job and check for proof of vaccination for their facility. Thank you!
Is your skater ready to try REAL speed skates? Speed skates can be rented from the YKSSC for a cost of $125 per season (additional cheque of $125 is required as deposit). They will come sharpened and ready to go!
We have a range of size available but limited quantities. Our amazing Skate Coordinators, Greg and Carla Skauge will be at Ed Jeske Arena at the Multiplex (in the back where our storage unit is) on the following dates for the indicated groups:
- SS2 and SS3: Thursday, Sept 16 (7:30 – 8:30pm)
- SS2 and SS3: Sunday, Sept 19 (3:30 – 4:30pm)
- SS1: Thursday, Sept 30 (7:30 – 8:30pm)
If you can’t make one of these times, contact email@example.com to make other arrangements.